Tuesday, November 21, 2023

WINTER BIRTHDAY CARD

One of my cousins will be celebrating her birthday next month. I think it would be a bit of a bummer to have a birthday close to Christmas - the personal celebration gets over-shadowed by the holidays. So, I always make sure I send her a birthday card separate from her Christmas card (two of my husband's nephews have their birthdays the day after Christmas and they've always complained about it).


I started this card inspired by the current Just Us Girls Mood Board #706, specifically the layer cake in the center of the board:



What a perfect image for my Simon Says "Fancy Cake Set #S731"! I "baked" the cake and decorated it and went on a search through my Christmas stash for some paper scraps to use as background. I don't know whose paper this is, since I had only scraps left from about 10 years ago - maybe longer. I eked out a couple of stitched rectangles for the front and inside and matted both of them in the same red cardstock as the cake stand. The cake pieces were cut from a textured vinyl wallcovering sample I had on-hand from one of my interior projects. The tiny trees are from Alexandra Renke's "Winter Village". The tag is a PTI "Tiny Tag", which I tied with a triple wrap of red and white baker's twine before attaching the panel to the face of a white card base. I added a bit of dimensional foam behind the cake to hold it out a bit from the busy background, and slipped gold sequins and gems onto the tips of the candles.


   

Inside I heat embossed a sentiment from PTI's "Winter Hills" over the printed images.
While working on this I noticed that Inkspirational Challenge #303 is a word prompt this week - "Seasonal". I think my card is also appropriate for their challenge.




Added November 24, 2023






8 comments:

  1. Fran... so love your Christmas cake! So creative!! Thank you so much for joining and sharing at Just Us Girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun texture on the cake! This is cute and I think your cousin will appreciate your thoughtfulness. So happy to spot this in our JUGs gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so creative Fran, and every element is fabulous! I knew immediately that you were inspired by the cake in the moodboard! Fabulous execution of the cake!!! I was a little disappointed that the texture on the cake was wallpaper because I was about to ask you the name of the great embossing folder. LOL!!!!! The background paper is perfect for this scene too. Can you tell that I am so happy that you played along with us this week at Just Us Girls?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, your enthusiasm is very appreciated! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Did you know that you won the Just Us Girls Challenge last week? Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, I did! But I never saw a badge for my blog!

      Delete
  5. The textured cake looks fantastic and it goes so well with the background too. Beautiful! Thanks for playing with us at Inkspirational.

    ReplyDelete