Tuesday, March 14, 2023

3/14 - HAPPY PI DAY!

We have a pi-day birthday in our family! My husband's youngest nephew is 33 today and we're all meeting to eat barbeque and, of course pie! Matt is just geeky enough to thoroughly enjoy having a birthday with the same numerical value as the formula for the circumference of a circle! I usually do a pi/pie card for him, and this is this year's offering:


I'm not going to even begin to describe all of the steps in this card - just suffice it to say it was many! This lattice cherry pie was not easy, but it was fun and challenging. I utilized several different circles dies for the pan and the pie. I cut 1/4" wide strips of kraft paper, wove them, and glued them over red cardstock for the cherry filling. I used Copics to darken the crust a bit in places for dimension and added a pie dough flower on the top. I constructed a red and white striped cloth and die-cut stitching along the edges. The final step was to heat emboss the 3.14 with white and apply a silver die-cut sentiment.

It's been raining all day today and the light is low. It's hard to see that this card is a 5-1/2" square card base with a 5" square raised panel attached. 



After posting all of this I thought I would enter it over at Inkspiratioinal Challenges because I remembered it was "Faux Stitching", but I missed the cut-off. Interestingly, today's new Inkspirational Challenge #285 is a word prompt - "Numbers". That works as well!

Inkspirational: Inkspirational Challenge #285 - Word Prompt - Numbers (inkspirationalchallenges.blogspot.com)



Added April 1, 2023:


5 comments:

  1. How FUN! Sounds like the perfect celebration for the birthday boy. Love the pie on your card, Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Fran - how fun and creative is this! love your pie and wonderful red striped table cloth! Thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational and happy bday to your nephew! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this Fran - this is the kind of card my maths geek of a husband would appreciate! It was so worth the effort - the detail is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super birthday card! Love how you tied in the pie with the Pi. I can't imagine you'd ever find anything so unique in a card store!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fran: dropping in to share that you were one of our Top Picks over at Inkspirational. We loved your Pi Day pie. Thank you for joining us!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete