Saturday, March 25, 2023

WISHING FOR SPRING

We woke up to snow on the ground this morning, which is not a normal occurrence in southern Oregon at the end of March. It has now melted but threatening more of the same. I decided to give myself a bit of time to make a card for a friend who moved to Las Vegas a couple of years ago and we haven't seen each other since. I used CAS Colours & Sketches Challege #507 as a jumping off point. 


I chose to do the layout as a horizontal card, which probably breaks the rules a bit. I had an idea about a continuous scene stretching out across the card, broken into 5 vertical strips. I first made a template by die-cutting 5 vertical openings in it equidistant across the panel and then placing the die-cut panels back into the template, taping them from the back, and stamping and blending a background. Once the background was completed to my satisfaction (along with a kite and birds from other stamp sets) I removed the tape on the back and replaced it with Washi tape on the front and applied adhesive to the back of the vertical pieces. Then I laid the larger panel with its 5 sticky-backed verticals over the face of a stitched front panel with the sentiment already stamped (My Favorite Things #CS-567 "Right at Home"), pressed the verticals in place, and removed the Washi tape from the face. Over the vertical panels I adhered tiny die-cut houses and trees from Alexandra Renke's "Winter City" die set. Easy-peasy, right? Well, not exactly! 




Added April 9, 2023:



7 comments:

  1. What a great card! It's so clever in it's design and a beautiful (missing you) card. Love how you arranged the envelope to mirror the card, too. Thank you for all the directions and tips as I'm sure this was quite a complicated card to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous card, Fran! Love the scene, and those tiny little stamps and die cuts are too perfect. I so like Alexandra Renke dies but my budget doesn't stretch to them :( Thanks so much for sharing with us at CC&S this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great card! So many little details--and they come together perfectly!! Thanks for joining us at CC&S

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is as cute as can be!! Love the strips!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful Fran - your little scene is carefully constructed and a great example of CAS not necessarily being quick to achieve! So worth it though - and your friend will I'm sure appreciate the sentiment too! Thanks for playing along with us over at CAS Colours & Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absolutely beautiful, Fran! I love the pretty scene and the way you cut it into strips - so clever! Beautiful take on our sketch, thanks so much for playing along with us at CC&S!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great scenery!!! Love the idea of splitting the scene into several pieces. Thank you for playing along with CC&S challenge.

    ReplyDelete