Sunday, June 18, 2023

THE BEACH LIFE

I kind of waited until the last minute to make my "One Layer Wonder" CAS card for this week's The Paper Players #PP645, so when it wasn't really meeting my expectations, it was too late to turn back! I think one-layer cards are harder than most because once you commit your ink to the paper you can't save it by die cutting and layering. It's one shot!




I started this card with a row of flip-flops from Lawn Fawn's "Simply Summer" stamp set, inked with Memento "Tuxedo Black" and colored them with Copic markers. Then I tore a piece of paper and masked off a rectangle and masked the flip-flops and blended Altenew "Rocky Shores" ink and overprinted stipples with the same ink and an Alexandra Renke "Accentuation - Areas" stamp. I overprinted the sentiment from Hero Arts #CM317 "Color Layering Sea & Sky". Then I folded the card at the top and realized it just didn't look finished. I had set the image too far up on the card and the sentiment didn't quite look right so I added a shell and embossed a couple of lines from the back of the card to balance things out. 

Jaydee's challenge deserved more than this, but I'll leave it to all of you to fill in for me, and next week I'll start a little earlier. Go see the wonderful inspirational cards from my fellow design teamers! 

The Paper Players: PP645 - A Clean-and-Simple Challenge from Jaydee



8 comments:

  1. Fran, you never disappoint! It's a beautiful card and I love the design. Just your directions on how you made it show that you put a lot of effort into this beauty. Masking alone takes time and patience and the embossed lines were genius. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran that row of flip flops on the sandy beach is perfect for a CAS card and whilst you may not be 100% happy with the outcome, I think it's great. I really liked reading about how you positioned your shell, sentiment and score lines to balance your design. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally in AWE of this card...you cut and masked all those flipflops? You're the fussy-cutting queen! And that sand looks so realistic! I just love everything about this card and I am ready for the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, you are right.... one layer cards and CAS can be so much harder. The slightest mistake, a smidge of ink, a misplaced sentiment, etc can send a card to the bin. However, you showed us that with just a couple of score lines you can add interest, texture, fix a placement and make it look fabulous all in one go! love it
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree, one layer cards are a challenge! I am a layer on top of layer kind of girl. LOL! I think your card is fabulous! All those flip flops and the sandy background are perfect! The score lines are just so creative! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, this is such a perfect card to celebrate summer! I love the faux-torn edge and those two scored lines are such a perfect detail. What a fun way to add some detail to the focal image while still keeping the design CAS. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE this card, Fran! I think it is CAS perfection. I love the scored frame you created...a technique I never think to do. You have awesome masking skills!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete