Monday, January 8, 2024

NEW POST, NEW YEAR, AND NEW DIES

"New" is the catch phrase this week at two different blogs: Time Out Challenges #254 - "New" and NBUS #58 - "Never Before Used Schtuff". In that vein I set out this morning to make a birthday card for my former business partner/good friend that I recently visited with in Las Vegas. This week is her 81st - I can hardly believe it. It seems like it was just last year that we took off to Kauai with two other designer friends for a week to celebrate her 75th. 

Last month I won first place in Time Out Challenge #252 and my prize was a gift certificate for Birch Press where I ordered a couple of their fabulous dies and they sent along a couple of additional surprise dies from Memory Box and this "Ruffled Poppy Stem" #94667 was one of them - this is the first time I've used it. Anyone who has been following me lately knows I ran out of white cardstock over Christmas and still haven't replenished my stock. Besides which, I've been on a black cardstock binge and thought this simple image would look great against a dark background.

Thinking that solid black would just be too plain, I decided to use an old filigree background  rubber stamp and black heat emboss it on a black stitched die-cut panel. I love this effect and I'm going to have to do it again soon! I matted the panel with gold and red cardstock and attached it to a top-folded black card base. After die cutting the poppy's petals I used a white Prismacolor pencil and added an extra layer of gold stamens behind the center black ones. Finally, I die cut a stitched tag, stamped the birthday sentiment from PTI, and tied on a small piece of gold ribbon.   

These are the links to the two challenges I'm entering:

TIME OUT Challenges: Challenge 254 - New + Introducing New Design Team Members








8 comments:

  1. Fran, this is absolutely stunning!!! Your friend is sure to love this amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is one gorgeous card, Fran! I received this die too, you've inspired me to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is magnificent Fran! I love the black embossed background and the touch of gold! That ruffled poppy die is one of my fave poppy dies - you can use it a few different ways to change it up - a great freebie!
    Thanks for sharing your card and your new goodies with us Time Out Challenges!
    Hugs, Kate (DT Time Out Challenges)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully striking card Fran. Like you I love using black cardstock as a background as it really makes everything 'pop', and the old HA background stamp is one of my favs!! The beautiful red poppy is the perfect addition!! What a great surprise in your order! I'm sure your friend will love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Time Out Challenges! Have a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so special for the Time out challenge! Congratulations and what a stunning card with your new products. I love the clear embossed background and the drama of black and red. Thank you for joining us at Time Out. Hugs ~ Ishani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your red poppy looks stunning with the black and gold and red and I love the sweet tag greeting, Fran! The addition of the embossed stamp on the black is sensational and adds a ton of interest! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Happy New Year! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very elegant! I love the clear embossed background and the striking red poppy! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Time Out Challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that flower looks so good and really pops on that beautiful background! Thank you for joining us at TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete