Tuesday, January 23, 2024

PAPER HUG

We lost a close friend this past week and I've struggled with sympathy cards for his daughter's family. I thought I would like to send a separate card to his young grandchildren because they were such loving troopers through a two-week hospice period. His youngest granddaughter (9) brought her sleeping bag to his bedroom and slept in his room every night, while the others (14 and 16) visited every day and played their musical instruments and sang to him and held his hand. Surrounded by such loving company he passed peacefully. 

I had wanted to participate in the Moodboard challenge at Just Us Girls #710 because I loved all of the comforting images. Honestly I hadn't intended to make this challenge into a sympathy card, but as I worked on it, it occurred to me that it would be very appropriate in this instance for our friend's grandchildren. 


I started with a dark gray textured card base on which I mounted a white textured and die-cut stitched rectangle. The little stuffed animals are from AALL & Create (#249 "Dog Toys") and I stamped them on gray patterned paper, colored over them with Copic markers, and fussy cut them to attach to a dark gray panel. I also stamped the body of the little guy in front with a stripe pattern and layered it over him and also stamped a stitched heart from the same stamp set. Then, there was the sentiment included with the set and I added it and a messy stitched Tim Holtz image with white embossing powder. I also added some Tim Holtz splatters in black behind the stuffed toys.

I finally bought some white card stock last week at Michael's and I'm not happy that it isn't really white. It looks like I'll have to go online and find some pure white 110 lb. stock. At any rate, here is a link to the challenge:

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Fran. How very thoughtful of you to make this special card for is grandchildren. It's precious and I think it will mean a lot to them. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Just Us Girls. My favorite true white cardstock is Papertrey Ink. It's what I've always used. Takes ink, Copics and ink blending beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thanks for your kind words and the heads-up on white cardstock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story tugged at my heart, Fran. How thoughtful to think of those darling grandchildren when making a card for our challenge. Those little images are so cute and the sentiment is perfect. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls. I second Lisa's vote for PTI cardstock. I went back to it after trying all the other paper people use, including Michael's and Neenah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. I love this sweet card that you made for his grandchildren. It's perfect with the beautiful sentiment. The faces on these dolls are sad just like the grandchildren are now. I'm also a fan of Papertrey Ink's white cardstock, have been for years.

    ReplyDelete