Thursday, July 11, 2024

SEIZE THE BIRTHDAY!

Today I'm popping in as Surprise Party Guest at Seize the Birthday. This is the first time I've had the honor of participating in that capacity at this challenge - one of my favorites! The current optional theme is "Fruits".

                                        Seize the Birthday: Seize the Birthday #287- Fruits





It's times like these that I discover the real "holes" in my supplies. Fruits seem to be something I don't navigate toward when purchasing new products. So I headed off to my favorite craft store in search of something featuring some sort of fruit. With all of the fancy papers, stamps, dies, and other crafts available at their large inventory, I could only find two stamp sets - one featuring cherries and one featuring strawberries, and no fruit patterned papers. I settled on "Simple Vintage Berry Fields" #20120 from Simple Stories.


Once I had my choice of fruit stamp sets, I won't pretend I didn't struggle with this card! It took me hours to work out a design, and then I just ended up using only two of the stamp images and none of the sentiments (but now I have some more berry/Mason jar images to use in the future). Well, that's how it goes sometimes - I'm sure that much of my struggle was related to performance anxiety and having to come up with something that was worthy of the challenge at Seize the Birthday!

I started with a Strathmore A7 card base and matching envelope. I stamped the strawberries each twice - once with red on white card stock and once dark green on green card stock. Then I blended with red ink and Copic markers, fussy cut the berries and stems and glued them together. So, once that was done, what to do with them? After several attempts to come up with a way to use them, I finally decided the more CAS the better, and opted for layering them with an old filigree boarder die (probably Hero Arts) and die cut it from some old green and white printed paper from my stash. I stamped the sentiment from PTI's "Tea for Two Addition" in their "Pinefeather" ink. I dug through the supplies to find some red and pink printed papers and settled on two very small scraps of PTI paper and had to piece the stripes together to make a wide enough piece to stretch the full length of the bottom of the card. Whew! I layered everything together with some dimensional foam and added some pink sequins.
  

After all of the struggle, I'm happy with the final product. My experience is that the more cards one produces, the more easily the ideas flow. That should be a lesson to me not to cut back my production as much as I have this year!

On a personal note: As I write this on Monday, the entire west coast of this country is hotter than hell this week. There are something like 17 wild fires in California and we sit just 30 miles from the California border. It was 111 here in Medford yesterday and the day before and expecting the same for the next couple of days. We've been getting out early to water veggies that I have in pots - and there's our little community of feral cats that are all struggling with the heat, sleeping most of the day. We're replenishing the water a couple of times a day, and last night the raccoons dropped by to help themselves. I think they're picking up dropped small plums from our flowering plum tree and rinsing them in the water before eating. The water was almost mud on the last filling about 10:00 last night!   

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Fran. Those strawberries look good enough to eat. Love how you colored them and arranged them on the lovely paper and die cut border. Glad to have you guesting with us at STB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to be sharing the Surprise Party Guest honors with you today Fran! I don't use fruit often either - but do have a peaches set, an apple set and a sliced oranges set none of which I used for my card today so they are still waiting patiently to be used. I love you card design with the delicious strawberries layered on that pretty filigree border die cut - lovely papers used as well! Here in MA we are having 80's - 90's every day and humid where we used to be 70's - 80's in the summer. So glad you are not to close to those terrible fires - or in TX with the floodings and no electricity! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia, nice to see you there as well!

      Delete
  3. I think you created a fantastic card. I understand the anxiety of creating something worthy of a challenge. But no worries here. Love your card. Thanks for being one of our Surprise Party Guest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Linda, it was a pleasure to play along with you guys this week - thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  4. First and foremost, sorry you had to go on a shopping spree to find our Topping. Also, your cards are always worthy of our challenge, hence why you are here guesting with us today. Your card could not be any more lovelier. Using patterned papers behind those luscious strawberries really make them pop. A truly wonderful card, Fran. As for your temps, ares are not that hot but we are experiencing the warmest Summer on record. My son lives in California and I am trying not to fret and worry too much, easier said than done. Try and stay cool! Thanks for being with us! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I had to comment about you fretting about your son in California. When I was living in California my mother in Washington worried constantly about us and the earthquakes. Where did she live? In Washington State just 20 miles, as the crow flies, from Mt. St. Helens. And, yes she was there when it blew it's top!

      Delete
  5. Love the CAS look of this card - those berries look good enough to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Fran and welcome! I am so glad to have you here with us at Seize the Birthday. I loved your blog story about how you came to make this amazing card and it is quite lovely. I also enjoyed the comment on the weather and how you help the animals. I just became aware of Simple Stories as I completed a scrapbook for my granddaughter as she graduated high school. Back to your card, your strawberries look amazing and I wonder if you use Copic makers a lot? They are my go to for coloring and if you are interested in learning more, I can give you a name where I learned a lot about coloring. This craft is a lot of fun and I certainly enjoy meeting new people. I would not change a thing on your card for our fruit challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran, your strawberries are fantastic and I love that you kept it CAS! Thank you for taking the time to go out and buy a fruit stamp and for being our Surprise Party Guest at STB!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, your performance anxiety was completely unfounded, Fran! It’s a beautiful CAS card, and those luscious strawberries look good enough to eat! Thanks for being our surprise party guest at STB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a wonderful CAS card that you've created, Fran! I love the design. The strawberries are looking really delicious and I love the filigree boarder die and the striped pattern paper combo that you've used with it - really suit the card well. All the struggles really paid off! Thank you so much for this sweet inspiration for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Fran - your struggles were worth it. This is so beautiful! Fantastic colours and patterns.

    ReplyDelete