Sunday, April 23, 2023

PAPER PLAYERS - SKETCH WEEK

It's Sunday again and this is "Sketch Week", with a sketch from our lovely Ann! I used her sketch as inspiration for a sympathy card, which are always difficult. But Ann's sketch gave me a jump-start.  



I also want to use this opportunity to give a shout out to Ann for sending me these beautiful Stampin' Up designer papers! I wasn't really fishing for free hand-outs when I complimented her on the papers on one of her stamps - but she gifted me with an entire set of 6x6 "Country Gingham" DSP! 

Digging through my scraps I came across a butterfly that I had stamped, colored, and fussy cut some time ago. It seemed like an appropriate image for a sympathy card, so I built the card around it. I started with a card base of Strathmore water color paper. I selected a pale grayed-teal Stampin' Up paper that looked like a cloudy sky and layered a circle cut from the yellow version of the same paper. The horizontal band was several layers of the same piece of paper, using some fancy Spellbinders "Winter Borders" dies. The sentiment is from PTI's "Beautiful Butterflies" stamp set.

Come and play with us at The Paper Players #PP637 Sketch Challenge!




On a personal note:

My son called me earlier in the week to let me know that his wife's brother-in-law had passed away after a very valiant struggle with kidney cancer. He was only in his mid-40s. It doesn't really matter what I say or write to the surviving family members, it never feels sufficient.  

9 comments:

  1. This is the most stunning creation I have seen in a very long time, such beautiful colours and design, Truly a awesome creation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, this is beyond gorgeous! I love absolutely EVERYTHING about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like that butterfly! This is a wonderful card, Fran. Crafty friends are the best aren't they. I'm so sorry for your son and daughter-in-law's loss. Your lovely card will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy guacamole! That butterfly is STUNNING. It works so well with the colored panels you chose, especially that gorgeous diecut border. So sorry for your son's loss....you're right, sometimes words just aren't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely stunning sympathy card, Fran! The colors are so serene. The gorgeous butterfly makes the perfect focal point. I am so sorry for your son and his wife's loss. my thoughts are with all who knew and loved his brother-in-law. I'm happy you like your paper. It was my pleasure to share it with you. Thank you for making my sketch shine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful and elegant card Fran - that butterfly is stunning and I love the border detail too. I'm sure it will be well received - so sorry for the loss of your extended family member - there really are no words for how cruel life can be sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran, your card is fabulous! I love that butterfly so much! This is just so touching and it is the perfect sympathy card. I am so very sorry for the loss of a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fran, that butterfly is stunning and seems so perfect for a sympathy card. I know that your DIL and her family will appreciate this card and knowing that you cared enough to create something specifically for them. A wonderful take on the sketch
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fran, When I first saw your card the word that came to mind was serene. Then I saw that it was a sympathy card, so appropriate. The colors and design are just perfect. Gorgeous! Suzy

    ReplyDelete