Sunday, May 28, 2023

THE PAPER PLAYERS SKETCH CHALLENGE #PP642

Another Sunday, another Paper Players Challenge! This week it's our friend LeAnne's turn and she's chosen a sketch for us to play with. 

https://thepaperplayers.blogspot.com/2023/05/pp642-sketch-challenge-from-leanne.html






I had to think on this one for a while, because I couldn't figure out whether I wanted to do it as a Christmas card, birthday card, or just general greeting. I settled on general greeting. I started with a white card base and a die cut stitched rectangle. I had a small frame of gold card stock in my clippings box that looked like it was the right proportion. Also in my scraps was a small piece of Japanese rice paper with these beautiful cranes that I've been hoarding for years. I placed a black panel inside the gold frame and attached both to the face of the stitched rectangle. Then I trimmed down a piece of the rice paper and centered it over the black panel. I knew I wanted to wrap a ribbon of sorts around the panel to act as the horizontal element, and digging through my piles of ribbon pieces I found this small length of gold silk cord. I had an idea to find a fancy knot to tie it in and went to an old Japanese gift-wrapping book. I found exactly what I was looking for and tied it around the panel and attached the panel to the card base with dimensional foam. My final step was a black die cut PTI "Tiny Tag" with the sentiment from Hero Arts #CM351 heat embossed and then attached below the knot. 




I'm pleased with the simplicity of this card - plus finally being able to use this Japanese rice paper scrap. I played a bit loose with the horizontal element of LeAnne's sketch, but she'll probably forgive me! Take a look at what the other designers have come up with to inspire you and join us in the fun.  



10 comments:

  1. Wow, this is stunning! I do not gravitate towards Japanese images but this is just gorgeous! The gold frame and that wonderful gold silk cord just kicks it up notches and notches! I love how you used the knot as part of the sketch--so ingenious! I always love what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, Fran! I love that Japanese knot as part of the sketch which is so clever of you and it's perfect with the Japanese rice paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absoluty delicate and gorgeous card 👏💐😊
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty card, Fran! Love the knotted cording as your horizontal element!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! What a great way to showcase that beautiful oriental paper Fran - and I love the unique horizontal treatment with cute tag too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, this is lovely! I love the way you used the knot to interpret the sketch. The Japanese Rice paper is stunning! Those cranes are beautiful and the sentiment is just perfect! You certainly made this sketch shine, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Wow! Wow! Absolutely stunning, Fran! I can see why you hoarded this rice paper! I love your interpretation of the sketch. Have a wonderful upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Fran! What a stunning card. That paper is just gorgeous and I can see why you waited for just the right moment to use it. All that wonderful white space allows your eye to truly focus on that focal element. Just gorgeous
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fran, I wow-ed out loud at your card! I just love that beautiful rice paper paired with the shiny gold layer. Your cord and the unique knot are the most gorgeous finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete