Saturday, May 27, 2023

"S" IS FOR "SCREW IT"

Well, here I am again fulfilling the role of Guest Designer at The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, one of my favorite challenges. It seems like each time I do this, the challenge (or Edna) throws a new kind of wrench at me that requires research, and this time around is no different! It's SOSS#235 - "S is for Steampunk".

Wikipedia:  "Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction that incorporates retro futuristic technology and aesthetics inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery. Steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the Victorian era or the American "Wild West", where steam power remains in mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power."

I pretty much knew this, but how to interpret it into the making of a card - a snarky one for that matter - took me to hundreds of Pinterest examples, mostly far beyond what my skills or supplies might render. It seemed like I might need to consider metallics and cogs and gears and rather gritty backgrounds. It also required a trip to my local craft store where I found some Tim Holtz images.

When a predominantly CAS designer considers Steampunk, it's definitely a clash of styles! But, without further ado, here is my take on what might be termed "Snarky Stamp-punk":


I started this with some scraps of printed paper that I've had in my stash forever - those pages that used to be included in the card making magazines. I trimmed one of them down with a stitched edge die and blended Tim Holtz gears stencil with brown ink. Over that I stamped his watch gears with VersaMark ink and gold embossing powder, grunged up the edges and attached it to the face of a brown card base, along with a printed kraft page as a mat. I wanted the sentiment to appear to be a manufacturer's plaque on an old steam engine or part, so I gold embossed the sentiment (Unity Stamp Company #IB-815 "Screw It") on a scrap of woodgrain copper metallic card stock and die cut it with one of my oval dies. I die cut a second oval from some bronze card stock and attached the two ovals with a couple of copper brads. I then attached the ovals to the face of the card with some dimensional foam. It seemed like it needed a bit more, so I bent a length of brass florist's wire through one of the holes in the die and coiled the ends with a small paint brush handle.


I used a bit of coordinating lighter-weight paper to line a Kraft A6 envelope on which I had stenciled and stamped gears, and when the envelope opens a Victorian gentleman peers out from the inside of the envelope.


Here's Edna in all of her steampunkiness!




4 comments:

  1. Your card is AWESOME, everything is perfectly done, the finishing touch being the coiled wire. the envelope is so impressive. I must try to stencil gears on the envies before I send the cards out. Thanks for being our Queen and a great follower. BTW love the snark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you ROCKED IT!!!! Edna does like to continue to challenge us!! LOL - although I for one love steampunk! I think we even used the same stamp set, I have the same gentleman on my tag :)
    Thank you for returning to the sisterhood to lead us as our reigning Queen of Snark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've rocked the challenge yet again, Fran! Always love it when you're our Queen, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally rocked it! (And if you read my blog you already know that I am totally with you in the Steampunk camp. LOL!) Thanks so much for your continued support.

    ReplyDelete