Sunday, September 10, 2023

HELLO, FALL

I know that fall hasn't arrived, but can't I wish a bit? I'm so ready for it. That's why I was delighted to see Jaydee's beautiful colors in this week's The Paper Players challenge. These colors just shouted fall to me!

The Paper Players: PP657 - A Color Challenge from Jaydee 


Sadly, once I sat down to make a card, I had a complete brain fart and really struggled with how I wanted to use them. I worked at it for hours and then just had to step away and come back to it. I made the card but wasn't particularly satisfied, so just went to bed and slept on it. It looked a little bit better to me this morning so I'm running with it. That's just how it goes sometimes.


My interpretation of "Pebbled Path" is warm gray, and I have some card stock in my stash that is a medium-toned warm gray, so I started with cutting a card base from it and attaching a white die cut stitched rectangle to the face of it. The next layer was a slightly smaller white stitched rectangle that I stamped a sentiment on from Impression Obsession #WP684 "Leaf Set" after die cutting a Stampin' Up Framelit "Chalk Talk" tag from the center. I slipped a deep teal scrap behind and die cut and colored a couple of fall leaves (no idea whose dies they are) to place over and under the opening. But it was looking too spare, so I decided to overprint an old leaf flourish (maybe Inkadinkado) with Hero Arts "Wet Cement" ink. I stamped it on both layers and then attached the top layer with some dimensional foam. Finally, I attached two leaves and some itsy-bitsy metallic pearls and went to bed. 


Now it's Sunday and I came into my office/craft room (which is complete bedlam at the moment), made a coordinating envelope, and finished up the inside with this Elizabeth Lawrence quote and more swirling leaves. 


It's now your turn and I'm sure you'll be a lot less challenged than I was yesterday. Check in with all of the Design Team members to see their beautiful responses to Jaydee's colors and let them know how much you appreciate their work. 

Added Note:

HA! I've been using this quote from Elizabeth Lawrence for years on fall birthday and Thanksgiving cards without ever knowing who she is! I actually looked her up this morning and it turns out that she is a 20th century horticultural writer who also happened to be the first woman to graduate from North Carolina State University with a degree in Landscape Architecture. Her home and garden in Charlotte are on the Historic Registry and open to the public. Consider yourselves now educated on Elizabeth Lawrence!

10 comments:

  1. It's a lovely card, Fran! I like the window you created for your falling leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you struggled at all! Your card is lovely! I love the different textures! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran, I think this card is just so elegant! I love the design and how you used the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't know about Elizabeth Lawrence, but having seen that cheeky look on her face - and knowing the barriers she must have broken - I want to meet her!!! Fran, I know the feeling of thinking you know what you want and then having to spend hours trying to make it work. Walking away from a card and coming back later really does work wonders. Your gorgeous finished product is a perfect example of why that technique does work. The swirls you added perfectly highlight the sentiment. Your textured peacock base is gorgeous. A true work of art
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card so much....that Chalk Talk die makes for a beautiful opening, but I think I sold mine! Darn! It's just gorgeous with the leaves on top and all the color and texture. And awesome sentiment...thanks for the little lesson as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, this is so fabulous! I love the way you used this die! Your card is CAS perfection, too. The gorgeous leaves and swirls of leaves is just amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran, I love your card. All the details and the die cut add so much interest. I love the little vines. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fran, you are so insanely talented. I would love to create cards as stunningly beautiful as yours. This is an example of clean and simple perfection....as well as a perfect use of the challenge colors. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is just stunning Fran - I so wish I had your talent! I love that simple opening and the pops of textured cardstock colour, not to mention that grey overstamping - genius! Such a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fran, you just have the most amazing way of making a challenge come to life. Gorgeous way to feature the colors and i just love the blustery leaves. We finally got under 100 degrees here, so your card has me in the mood for long sleeves and warm cider. Perfect fall card!

    ReplyDelete