Sunday, June 23, 2024

DOUBLE STENCILING TECHNIQUE

Happy Sunday, all! At the current Seize the Birthday Challenge, the designers are featuring an interesting stencil technique that I thought to try my hand at - Double Stenciling. They have a link to a how-to video and it's really a fun thing that I think I'll try again soon.

I began this experiment with some pale pink smooth cardstock and, using yellow ink and blending brushes, I stenciled circles. Then I overlaid an overall squares stencil and brushed on pink. I trimmed the panel down with a stitched rectangular die and matted it with mustard and charcoal cardstock. My disappointment with this card is that when I over-stamped the sentiment with charcoal ink, it really faded as it dried. I should have left it in my Misti and re-stamped it after it dried or added some clear embossing powder to deepen the color. The Impression Obsession Hollyhocks are my absolute favorite flower dies - I've used them over and over and never get tired of them. In this case, I die cut them in charcoal and coral and glued just the coral blossoms onto the charcoal bases. I also tucked in a floral stock in charcoal from Tim Holtz. 

Seize the Birthday: Seize the Birthday #285-Double Stenciling


Added June 28, 2024:




On a personal note: With school ending and all of the end-of-the-school-year activities for my husband through the month of June, I just haven't been making cards much, so it was fun to get back into crafting today. In addition to the busy social activities, I've been doing some heavy-duty gardening and our front yard is now finished! It looks a bit sparse at the moment with all new small plants, but by this time next year it should be a proper native pollinator garden.

I'll end by sharing a photo of our grand-twins at their Moving-up Ceremony last Friday evening - I can't believe that they are now high schoolers. It's Alexis, Colin, and their younger sister Kaitlyn. I thought this was a great picture of them! In September they'll be 15 and in October Kaitlyn will be 10.




6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you chose to dive and try the technique!!! I've seen it around but this was my first time trying it as well. I love how you layered the die cuts over the stenciling. Makes for a fabulous card!!! And your children are beautiful. Thanks so much for playing with us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed the Topping and I love the background you have created for your florals. Awesome card and a great pic of your grands for sure! Thanks for playing at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful double stenciled background you created for your pretty die cut stems Fran - and beautiful photo of your grands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A splendid card using the topping in an awesome way. I am so pleased that you shared it with us at Seize the Birthday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete