Saturday, January 22, 2022

SOMEONE CARES

When I was asked to Guest Design at The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers #202, I was delighted! But then I was told about this 2-week challenge, and I had a bit of trepidation - "G is for Gel Printing". I've never done any gel plate printing and didn't have the slightest idea how to proceed. So, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and ran off to Michael's waving my Christmas gift card and invested in a gelli plate, brayer, and small set of acrylic paints.



Since I am currently in my Valentine card phase I decided to limit myself in colors, which I can see yields a less interesting background. Next time I do this I'll tackle a bit more color and pattern. I used only Crimson Red, Vermillion, Titanium White, and Black. The first couple of prints I pulled were pretty boring, but this background came from a ghost print of a deeper red first try. I decided to use it anyway and see what I could do with it.


I stamped part of the sentiment from Tim Holtz with Memento "Tuxedo Black" ink onto a strip of the darker gel print (In retrospect I wish I had heat embossed this sentiment so that it would show up better against the red.). I did heat emboss the last line with white powder on a black paper strip and mounted both of these to the gel printed background. I decided to add a tie to the Tim Holtz Snarky Cat that I had previously used for my brother's birthday card and then I had fun coloring it with Copic markers and stamping tiny hearts into the white polka dots. I fussy cut him out and mounted him with dimensional foam to the face of the card, which I then mounted with a black mat to a folded slim-line card. I added several hearts, some directly to the background and some layered for dimension. 

My final bit of fun was to custom make a coordinating envelope lined with Valentine printed paper. I added a sentiment from Photoplay #S152150 "Made by Me" to the back of the envelope just below the flap.


And that's my first foray into gel printing. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!




5 comments:

  1. Hey Fran, love your card! Great gel print and I love that little guys tie - so cute! Thanks for being our Queen for this challenge, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card, fantastic gel print. cute image and sentiment. Great to have you as our Queen for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW this is so awesome!!!
    Love it! You totally rocked the challenge - thanks for being our reigning Queen of Snark!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!!! I can't believe you went out and bought supplies just for us!!!! Thank you so much for gelling with us this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Thanks for being our Queen and congrats on stepping into the gel plate world. Thanks for playing with your new gel plate with the Sisterhood.

    ReplyDelete