Sunday, December 3, 2023

ANGEL WINGS

I started my day yesterday with the intention of participating with the new Color Hues #77 - Pink & Silver" challenge. Other than wanting to add to my Christmas card stash, I wasn't clear on what I hoped to accomplish. With those colors it seemed I needed something frothy and textural. I hit on the idea of maybe angel wings and remembered an old Tim Holtz die that a friend gifted me with quite a few years ago. It's one of those old really thick Sizzix dies (#658259 "Layered Angel Wings") that came out before the thin steel ones and I've never used it, because the image was like a pair of disembodied wings and I didn't know what to do with them! I think the idea was to use them on altered art behind one of the Holtz sepia-toned vintage cut-outs. In any case, the die has been in my stash for a very long time and I decided to drag it out and see what I could do with it. 

I can't decide how I feel about this card, but I spent so much time making it that I have decided to just throw it out there like spaghetti at the wall and see if it sticks!    

I had thought to make the wings with layers of different colors or textures of vellum - like a ballerina's tutu. I cut so many layers with different vellums but couldn't decide on how to present them. I decided on a square format with ivory heavily-textured watercolor paper. I made a top-folded card base, using the deckle edge for the bottom opening. I cut a smaller square and die-cut another Tim Holtz die (#663117 "Snowy Stars") and matted it with silver metallic cardstock and glued it to the face of the card base. I attached the wings to the face of the card and added a silver star and pink brad between the wings to suggest a "celestial being" delivering tidings of comfort and joy. But after a strenuous search through all of my Christmas stamps, nowhere could I find that sentiment, so I settled on Peace on Earth - which we could certainly use a bit of this holiday season.

So, there it is. Like I said, I can't decide about it - it's either brilliant or completely missed the mark! I'll let all of you decide. 😅  


Color Hues: Color Hues #77-Pink and Silver (colorhuesthecolorchallenge.blogspot.com)


Added 1/01/24
Nice way to start the new year!




Postscript: Just as I was uploading this card on the Color Hues blog, I saw a lovely card by TK that I wanted to comment on and it led me to a new-to-me challenge - NBUS - "Never-Before-Used-Schtuff. What a great idea - I'm in!



AND, also added 1/01/2023
From Darnell @ NBUS

"The wonderful thing about human resilience is that we never give up hope for peace on earth. Congratulations, Fran, your card represents that hope beautifully."

10 comments:

  1. I love that you threw it out to us! What a fun card, and reading about your process was equally fun. All the elements in your card came together beautifully! Thanks for sharing with us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something soft and wispy about this one Fran. Sort of dreamy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fran! I've been a follower (from djkardkreations) of yours, but have lost touch, so it's lovely to see you over at my NBUS challenge! I thoroughly enjoyed your post and the mental and physical process you went through with this old-timey die! Is it okay to say I think your stunning and ethereal vellum wings look like a beautiful butterfly? Which also signifies peace to me, so the sediment is perfect! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Happy Holiday Hugs! Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, It appears that the spaghetti must have been al dente because I think this card is a creative genius! I love the background and the silver star to represent the body of the butterfly. Awesome job with my colors at Color Hues. Happy Holidays and thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your spaghetti stuck! This is beautiful, Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really like this card Fran - I think the spaghetti sticks lol! There is something so soft and ethereal about it and reading about your thought process was really interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you threw this the way of Color Hues and not into the bin, such a soft and delicate pair of wings, which could be either angel or butterfly! I have a box of those old Sizzix dies, they take up so much room compared to the new ones but am loathe to throw them as a, they were expensive and b, if I do I will surely regret it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely brilliant Fran! Love the wispiness and ethereality (spellcheck didn't throw that out so it must be a word) of the wings and the placement of the star and pearl and the sentiment are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - Me again to congratulate you on the NBUS win -- glad I could point you to the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Fran, as all your designs are. Love the ethereal feel. I enjoyed reading your description of your process and can really relate to your frantic search through your entire stamp collection for an appropriate sentiment!! Congratulations on being showcased at Darnell's NBUS challenge - and I hope I'm not too late to wish you a very happy and peaceful year ahead. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete